“Art puts colour and joy into things” – Participant, 2012
A consultation as part of Creative Scotland’s development of a Scottish National Youth Arts Strategy.
The purpose of the consultation:
- To consult with children under 11 about their current involvement in the arts
- To find out what activities they would like to be involved in
- To find out why they think children should be able to take part in the arts
Children in P4-6 in Glasgow, Fife and Edinburgh were consulted using creative processes. One school was in a rural location, and one was a special school. 135 children took part.
In their creative workshops children considered these questions:
- What is art?
- How does art make you feel?
- What else can the arts be?
- Where can you see art or take part in arts activities?
- What are the artistic things you do? And where do you do them?
- Are there arts activities or artistic things you would like to do?
What’s important about art and arts activities? In particular why is it important for children to take part?
A report title Art Puts Colour and Joy Into Things of the children’s voices was created for Creative Scotland, find it at the link below: